I don't plan on making a habit of promoting businesses here on Geekcentricity, but earlier this week, I discovered a new place to eat. Now, I know it's only a hot dog place, but it has that intangible ingredient that makes a place stick out from the pack. When the girl behind the counter told me that the owner was from Hackensack, NJ it was settled. I called my Dad on the spot and invited him to lunch later in the week. You see, my Dad loves eating establishments with character as much as I do, and he loves places with ties to "back home" even more. The menu is very "Jersey" from the hard rolls to the Taylor ham.
Today, my Dad and I went to Joey Doggs in Surfside Beach. My Dad loved it. We got to sit down and eat some good hot dogs and enjoy the character of the place. Joey, the owner, sat down with us for a while and chatted with my Dad about New Jersey. My Dad shared some stories with him that I've never heard before, including tales of his escapades going to the shooting range with the late comedian Buddy Hack
ett. Any place that can provide a backdrop for moments like that can't be too bad.
From the parking lot, Joey Doggs doesn't look like anything special, but I was looking for a good hot dog the other day and my wife remembered seeing a place over on Highway 17 Business in Surfside, so we decided to check it out. When I say this place had character, what I mean is that it has a "Theme" with a capital "T". When you walk in the door, you hear dogs barking, courtesy of a little speaker near the door that plays whenever anyone enters. The thing that really made the experience for me...? The specials are served in giant doggie bowls. We've already established my geekiness here, so you have to understand how cool that is to me. Let me say it again... They serve the food in DOGGIE BOWLS! In case you're thinking of going, next week they are having a St. Patrick's Day special hot dog with corned beef and kraut. They're calling it the "Irish Setter."
If you check out the place, let them know you saw it on Geekcentricity (and watch the confused looks as they wonder what the hell that is). Just let me know what you think.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Geekcentricity on Facebook







2 comments:
Just curious, what's the pricing like?
The pricing is reasonable-average. You can get an enormous dog bowl full of food for a pretty low price. Their menu can be found here: http://www.joeydoggs.com/menu.html
It's not complete though. They have more than what's listed.
Post a Comment